Thursday, May 6, 2010

My new laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad

Today I bought my first Thinkpad -- Thinkpad T410. I know that since 'Thinkpad' trademark was bought out from IBM by Lenovo many people believe that they lost their legendary advantages. I think so also. A bit :). Anyway I still like them and their spirit.

Buying Thinkpads in Russia has its own unique peculiarities.
First one: you have to do your best to find a laptop w/ tech specs you like/need. You are able to find only 3-5 models of each series. But sometimes these models may not satisfy you and you have to choose from what they offer not from you like.
Second: there is no shipping directly from Lenovo using post/DHL. I believe that Russian post service is the worst in the World. And Lenovo (AFAIK) doesn't ship to Russia; USA/Europe only.
Third and not the coolest one: you should play kinda 'roulette' game; if you buy your laptop at an Internet shop and have not unboxed it on receiving, it's hard to return it back or to have a replace. If I didn't check today Thinkpad's keyboard I would get the problem called 'flex keyboard' (check out YouTube for it to get the idea of what it is).

Here is some positive. The one of shop assistants asked me what I'm gonna to install on my new laptop. When I told him that my choice is Linux, he became more energetic and the rest of the time of shopping we periodically were discussing Linux and Open Source. He was a newbie (2 years experience of playing around with Linux) but he is already fan of Open Solaris -- believes that it is a future of OS`s, fan of upcoming `btrfs' file system and XFCE as DE :). Believe me -- it is a rarity (at least it was before) for Russian shop assistants :).

No comments:

Post a Comment