Saturday, May 22, 2010

Twitter and my solution for Debian + Thinkpad issues

Having the latest Debian Squeeze (kernel 2.6.32) I got in some issues (hm... Seems that for some time I'm going to write about Debian and my Thinkpad only :)) with my laptop.

The common issues that I (and Google proves that not only my Thinkpad T410 run into them) had were:
  1. LCD brightness up/down doesn't work with loaded up ``thinkpad_acpi'' module; ``hotkeys'' module param does not help. Even ``acpi_listen'' does not show about corresponding events.
  2. On resume after suspend/hibernate USB goes to sleep or even become disabled;
  3. On resume after suspend/hibernate the system receives a kernel trace error with registers dump.
And I was playing around with them. But nothing really helps: seemed that the issues are more deeper than they look at first glance. These unanswered questions were blocking me from comfortable using of my device which I really like.

Meanwhile there was an announce about Linux 2.6.34 kernel with the fix of famous bug #12309...

So I decided to try it out but unfortunately there were (still are) no Debian packages with the latest kernel sources for Squeeze/Sid. Only vanilla kernel w/o corresponding Debian patches. But Debian Experimental already has it! So what we do:

  1. Download linux-kbuild-2.6.34 from http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-kbuild-2.6/ and install it;
  2. Download linux-source-2.6.34 from http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/ and install it;
  3. Go to /usr/src/ and extract .tar.gz with linux sources; then go to the newly created dir with the linux 2.6.34 sources;
  4. Copy current copy config (has a name like ``config-2.6.32-686'') from /boot as .config to the current directory;
  5. Build the kernel with 'make-kpkg' command as described in http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Building_your_own_v2.6.x_Kernel_in_the_Debian_manner.
You will be prompted to answer several questions about using new features (and devices support, of course) added to the new version of kernel. When this kind of survey is finished you can go to take some cups of coffee.


After booting the new Debian kernel I got that those Thinkpad issues became resolved for me.

P.S. BTW, I finally decided to start my personal twitter. Sometimes I have a lot ideas and thoughts I want to share but they ain't so big or not so significant or even I do not have enough time to make standalone posts about them. Hence such 'dumps' are go to my twitter; I hope they are useful and interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment